Trump inauguration spurs protests around the country and overseas

Anti-Trump protests broke out across the country on the day of President Donald J. Trump’s inauguration. Demonstrations occurred in numerous major U.S. cities, including New York, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago and Portland, Ore. Protests also took place overseas in Hong Kong, Berlin and London.

After a morning of peaceful protests and coordinated disruptions on Friday, Jan. 20, during the inauguration, peace gave way to ugly street protests in downtown Washington, injuring six police officers and resulting in 217 protesters being arrested. Chaos erupted as protestors smashed storefronts, bus signs and a limousine — going so far as to throw rocks at police officers. The police responded by using pepper spray and other control devices to control the protesters.

As Trump stepped forward to take the oath of office, six protestors, each wearing a letter of the word “RESIST,” stood up and chanted the preamble to the U.S. Constitution, making it difficult for the people seated nearby to hear.

In New York City, nine people were arrested for disorderly conduct. Authorities said five people were arrested at protests in Dallas and six in Chicago. Jed Holtz, a protester in New York City, said, “We’re here to take a stand against the ideas that Trump spouted throughout the course of this campaign — sexism, Islamophobia, his bigotry and nationalism.”

In Portland, Ore., six people were arrested after protesters armed with clubs and sticks threw an unknown liquid at police officers. In Seattle, protesters threw bricks and other items at police. Harborview Medical Center in Seattle confirmed they were treating a man who was shot during the protest and is in critical condition.

On Jan. 21 in Washington, D.C., The Women’s March — a protest born of intense social media organization — took place.

Approximately 597,000 people attended to protest Trump’s first full day in office. They fought to support women’s rights and related causes. Simultaneous protests drew large crowds across the country and internationally.

These marches aimed to increase awareness of immigration reform, healthcare reform, protection of the natural environment, LGBTQ rights, racial justice, freedom of religion and worker’s rights.

Lacy MacAuley, an organizer of The Women’s March, said, “We’re really trying to set a tone of resistance for the coming years. Donald Trump represents a shift in our politics in a dangerous, harmful, exclusionary direction. We oppose those policies of hate.”

Protests continued throughout the rest of the week after the inauguration around the country.

In London, a Facebook event has been made to create a demonstration on the day Trump visits the United Kingdom.

Be Sociable, Share!
,