Former UMaine player donates Super Bowl tickets to charity

Matt Mulligan, a former UMaine football standout, now a tight end for the Detroit Lions, could have made plans to travel to Houston on Sunday, Feb. 5 for the Super Bowl but instead decided to donate his tickets to a good cause.

He has joined New England football legend Doug Flutie and Patriots linebacker Rob Ninkovich in their efforts to raise money for Celebrities with Charity by donating their Super Bowl tickets to the organization’s “Big Game” fundraising raffle.

Celebrities for Charity are a nonprofit organization that unites the goodwill of celebrities and their fans. They continuously support Flutie’s organization, The Flutie Foundation. The Flutie Foundation is dedicated to helping families affected by autism, the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation and the Pete Frates, FrateTrain ALS Fund.

Mulligan is also a former Patriots player along with Flutie. “When Doug asked me to help out, I was more than willing. While I’m disappointed the Lions didn’t make it to Houston, I’m thrilled to help send another New Englander down to show support for the Pats,” Mulligan said in a press release. Mulligan met his wife at a Flutie Foundation event.

The tickets are part of a VIP package for two to Super Bowl LI that include travel, lodging, exclusive event passes and a meet and greet with Flutie.

“I think anybody should feel like they have a duty to do at times when they’re called upon, and for me I do a lot of things with my church and I think there should be other things, and if something steps up and you feel like it’s a cause you want to be a part of, my wife and I will try to do that,” Mulligan told WABI TV5.

The tickets were sold for $2 each with a minimum donation of $10. All the proceeds will go to Celebrities for Charity and their continued support of The Flutie Foundation.

Mulligan told WABI TV5 that he wouldn’t be watching the Super Bowl.

“For every player, when you play, you want to be in the big dance and when you’re not it’d be tough to stomach sitting around watching other players that you’ve either played against or played with getting to partake in that so I just think it adds salt to the wounds,” he said.

He believes that his former team, the Patriots, should be favored in the Super Bowl.

Be Sociable, Share!
, ,